Sunday 22 April 2012

More smash book: the patchwork technique

 by Paula Pascual

I am back to make more spreads of my 2012 smash book. today I would like to share as well one of my favourite techniques that I use often to save al those scraps of beautiful papers that I am often left over after a big project. I call it the Paper Patchwork technique.


Not all scraps are good for this technique, what is essential is that all corners are cut a square (90 degrees) angles, if they are slightly not square angles it is not going to look good. I am using one of my all time favourite collections from Basic Grey, Picadilly.


You will need for the next step double sided tape sheet. Stix2 makes a very good A4 one, I then trim them to a A6 or similar size. Remove one of the protective layers to expose the adhesive on one side only.


Attach the first strip across.


Then start positioning the next strip right up to the other strip.


And keep on attaching the strips at different directions but making sure that there are no gaps at all between them.That is why it is important that the strips are at proper angles.


Once that the whole adhesive area is filled, turn it over to make sure that it is all covered.


Use scissors to trim the excess. Those strips can still be used, no really nothing goes to waste. On the right photo you can see the patchwork piece. It looks all right but once is die cut it will look much better.


Next step is die cutting. I am using the Mini Hearts Movers and Shapers and the Base Tray. I run it through my Big Shot Pro, but of course it will fit through your Big Shot.


And this is what you get. Isn't it lovely the patchwork effect? Using the same brand of papers means that they have exactly the same heigh and it looks and feels pretty seamless. But you can experiment with textures for a different effect.


Also, they are self adhesive as the adhesive sheets are double sided. Just remove one side and you are done.


Then I added some scrolls that I die cut using a decorative strip, the festive greenery


On the next page I attached some more photos and some memorabilia. My 2012 smash bookis coming along nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment