Friday 13 April 2012

Going mixed media with Decorative Strips

 By Anna Dąbrowska


Hi there! Today I want to share again the thing, that excites me the most - mixed media techniques! This time I played with cut outs made with 2 wonderful Tim Holtz dies:Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die - Tattered Flower Garland(657824)and Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die - Harlequin Border (657825) . For this project I used few strips of paper witha goldish, distressed pattern (Wonderland collection - 7 Dots Studio).





I saved all the elements - but cut-outs and leftovers as I wanted to use them as a part of my mixed media journal project - I was sure they will make a wonderful texture!

I covered the journal page with pieces of paper cut into random squares and stick it all toghether using light glossy gel medium.  When it was sdry I painted it a bit with gesso (on the ligh side of the project) and with black acrylic paint (on the dark side of the project).

My next step was gluing the cut-outs and leftovers in the chosen areas of my composition. I used transparent glossy gel medium again - it was so fun and easy!  






I put my photo into the composition and again added some die cuts as I wanted to have them on the top of the photo too, to create even more interesting, deep texture. 


I let my project dry a bit - I was waiting for my gel medium to get perfectly clear. Then I re-painted the whole composition with gesso, black acrylic paint and some gold and red metallic paint again. Here are the details of the final effect: 





And the whole composition toghether:




I hope you like this idea - isn't it just perfect for playing with the paper scraps you have on your desk? Sizzix dies give so many possibilities for any kind of creation. 

I'm wishing you great time with die cutting - happy creating!

xoxo
Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment