Friday 9 March 2012

Decorative Strips are cool!

 By Anna Dąbrowska


Hi again!
This time I want to share with you a fun idea for using new Tim Holtz Decorative Strips Dies. Of course - I'm a fan of them as I love all the grungy, heavy designs... but today I want to show how to use them in a delicate, even minimal way!
So, let's start - here are the dies that are my inspiration:


Sizzix Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die - Harlequin Border (657825)


When I made my first cutting with these dies I realized how much potential they have - not only as decorative strips of paper but also as a mask or stencil to build up a pattern on your page, before you'll start building the paper composition. For this project I cut out 1 strip with the Harlequin Border and one with Washer Border



I wanted my layout to be really clean and simple - so I've chosen a plain white background and delicate in color "Songbird" collection from Prima. As you see you don't have to use Tim Holtz designs only to dark, vintage or grungy projects - they work beautifully with all styles!
I used Harlequin strip as a part of composition - the Washer strip was my stencil - I loved its little holes and circles: the pattern it gave is very pretty!


To make my background I used my set of PanPastels applied with a sponge. They blend beautifully and give you maximum control on the process - there are no surprises as with mists or even inks... perfect choice for those of you, who don't like to be messy!

Here is the result - the background is ready! 


Now I cut my Washer strip into smaller pieces and used it as a part of the composition too - how easy and fun it is! Of course - I can't be THAT clean and that simple - I just had to make some nice splashes on my page  :) 


To finish this project I used only a bit of Prima stamps, some Twine, Washi tape and a chipboard ticket:)



I hope I inspired you a bit to find the "soft side" of Tim Holtz :) Masking is one of my favorite techniques - it is so fun and easy!
Happy masking - and see you soon!
Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment